MCDP Starts Feb. 20 in Jackson
Jackson, Miss. (February 10, 2014) — The Mississippi Development Authority will kick off its Model Contractor Development Program workshop series on Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014 in the Fifth Floor Training Room of the Strayer University building, located at 460 Briarwood Drive in Jackson.
The nine weekly workshops are designed to teach small contractors and businesses practices that will improve their company’s operations and increase their bonding capacity. The workshops will be held each Thursday evening through April 17.
“Mississippi’s small businesses and contractors contribute significantly to the state’s economy, and the Model Contractor Development Program is a great resource to help empower them as they work to grow and achieve success,” said Bob Covington, director of MDA’s Minority and Small Business Development Division. “The sessions offered are designed to ensure participants complete the course armed with the information needed to secure new contracting opportunities.”
The MCDP workshop series is free of charge and open to all small contractors and businesses. Participants must enroll or already be enrolled in the Mississippi Contractor Procurement Network system (www.mscpc.com) in order to attend. Additionally, each company’s representative must agree to attend seven of the nine sessions to successfully complete the course.
The nine-week program schedule follows:
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 6 – 9 p.m. – Kickoff/Orientation
- Thursday, Feb. 27, 6 – 9 p.m. – Business Planning
- Thursday, March 6 – 6 – 9 p.m. – Banking and Finance
- Thursday, March 13 – 6 – 9 p.m. – Bonding and Insurance
- Thursday, March 20 – 6 – 9 p.m. – Construction Accounting and Financial Management
- Thursday, March 27, 6 – 9 p.m. – Marketing, Estimating and Bidding
- Thursday, April 3 – 6 – 9 p.m. – Project Management and Field Operations
- Thursday, April 10 – 6 – 9 p.m. – Claims and Dispute Resolution
- Thursday, April 17 – 6 – 9 p.m. – Success Stories: Why Some Contractors Succeed and Others Fail
The Jackson workshop series is sponsored by MDA, the Central Mississippi Contract Procurement Center and The Surety and Fidelity Association of America.
Seating is limited, so interested parties are encouraged to register early. To register, visit www.mscpc.com, and select “Events Calendar” and then “February 20.” For more information about the MCDP, please contact Latonia Shirley with MDA’s Minority and Small Business Development Division at (601) 359-6678 or email@example.com.