The Advantage Jobs Incentive Program is a rebate program designed to encourage businesses that create new quality jobs to locate in the state. Jobs must meet or exceed the average annual wage of the state or the county in which the company locates, whichever is lower.
The Advantage Jobs Incentive Program provides for a rebate of a percentage of Mississippi payroll to qualified employers for a period of up to 10 years. This incentive is available to businesses that promise significant expansion of the economy through the creation of jobs. The average of all jobs included in the program must meet the minimum average wage requirements.
The following businesses may qualify for this tax rebate:
- Data or information processing enterprises that provide an average annual wage of 100% of the lesser of the average county or state wage in and creates 200 new jobs.
- Any business except retailers, certain services and gaming establishments that provide an average annual wage of 110% of the lesser of the average county or state wage in and creates 25 new jobs.
In addition to meeting the above requirements, eligible businesses must also:
- Provide a basic health benefits plan.
The amount available for rebate is the lesser of:
- The qualified Mississippi personal income tax withheld;
- A legal maximum of 4% of applicable wages
Once the amount available is determined, the eligible company will receive:
- 90% if the annual average wage is at least 110% of the lesser of the average county or state wage;
The company will have 24 months from the date that the application is approved by MDA to meet all program requirements, including jobs and salaries.
For further details, see the Mississippi Tax Incentives, Exemptions, and Credits on the Mississippi Department of Revenue website https://www.dor.ms.gov/docs/2013IncentiveBook-pdffinal.pdf , or Section 57-62-1 et seq., MS Code 1972, Annotated.